Despite the hate and privacy issues, Facebook (now by Meta) remains to be one of the most used social media apps globally.
The app offers plenty of features and has most of the drills like stories, instant messaging, birthday reminders, and even its own marketplace.
Apart from these features, another thing that Facebook was keen on adding back in the day was its own functional web browser (in the Facebook app itself).
Unfortunately, that didn’t happen, and users had to rely on the outdated in-app browser.
Notwithstanding its other flaws, one major thing that cracks nerves is the internal link opening on the Facebook app.
You might have noticed that whenever you click a link on the Facebook app, it opens it in the app itself (in-app browser).
Back in the day, this feature was a saver. However, later the company removed it. But soon after, the feature was brought back to the app.
Let’s check out how to force the Facebook app to open links in an external web browser.
Force Facebook app to open links in an external browser on Android
1. Open the Facebook app.
2. Click on the Hamburger icon on the top right.
3. Now, you’ll see the menu on the top, and just beside it, there will be a Settings button. Simply click on it.
4. Here, scroll to the middle of the page, and you’ll see the Media option. Click on it. (Previously, it was Media and Contacts. And Facebook might change its name, so keep that in mind).
5. Once you click on the Media option, scroll to the bottom and look for the Links open externally option. It will be unchecked by default, so do check it.
Force Facebook app to open links in an external browser on iOS
In case you are using an iOS device, then there’s no automated way to open Facebook links in the external browser.
The best way to force open links in an external browser on the Facebook app is by opening it manually.
1. Open the Facebook app.
2. Click on the link you want to open.
3. Now, as usual, it will open in the in-app browser, but you can open it manually by clicking on the three dots at the bottom right.
4. Once you click on the three dots, you’ll see the Open in Browser option. Simply click on it.
Force Facebook app to open links in an external browser on Windows
In case you are some of the very few who still use the Facebook app from the Microsoft store, then by default, the links will open in the external browser.
Notably, this wasn’t the case earlier, as before, it required you to manually click on the Open in Browser option, just like on iOS.
That’s it. Follow the above methods to force the Facebook app to open links in an external web browser.
Opening links in the external browser can be useful for many as it may offer extra controls and a habitat UI since you’ll be using your preferred browser.